Get excited! It's Monday!
If all has gone according to plan, and you're reading this (through the awesome power of scheduling blog posts in advance) Jodi and I are setting off today on an 8 day hike on the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier with our buddy Lucas. We're super pumped and I'm sure there will be tons of photos to show in the future. Until then, here's what's been going down:
- Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!
- We've both gone Olympics crazy this week. We were a little bummed when we realized that we'll miss most of them during the hike. Not a bad trade off, I know, but still. We should have thought about that when we planned the trip.
- Dehydrators are one of the coolest things ever! We've been busy making dehydrated meals for hiking. Is awesome because what fits in a little ziploc bag will make about four meals and weighs almost nothing. Great when space is at a premium and we're trying to cut our backpack weight.
- I'm excited to shoot more with the Sony A7 on this trip. It's a killer little camera but I'm so comfortable with my main DSLR bodies that I just haven't given it the attention it deserves. But it's so small that it might be the perfect travel camera.
- As anyone that is self employed can tell you, it's constantly a roller coaster in terms of business. I booked a couple awesome weddings for next summer this week. I feel like bookings tend to come in packs. You'll get a couple and then go awhile without anything and it's super easy to start doubting yourself during those times. For me, the best way to not dwell on this is to simply stay busy with things that help you learn which has been a big motivation for the Artist Study series. Maybe I'll write more about this in the future.
- Lastly, I think Jodi and I are both pretty excited for this hike to simply unplug and refresh. Away from screens and email and work. It's easy to get so wrapped up in what you're doing that you lose perspective. Nature tends to be a good way to cure that.