Happy Monday from Florida! I had this all ready to go up yesterday but we landed in Florida and became deeply distracted by crab cakes and fried calamari. So here it is:
- As mentioned above, we're now in Florida! It's warm and sunny and a nice quick reprieve from Fargo.
- Spanish Moss is the coolest thing! Some of the trees we've seen are absolutely massive! Trees just don't grow that big up North for some reason.
- Jodi and I both had nothing scheduled this weekend so we ended up second shooting different weddings for other photographers. It's always fun to see how others work and learn from them. Everyone kind of has their own little quirks and tricks that they use. When I see other photographers talk about how they consider themselves too good or too established, I just shake my head. The best way to learn is from other people.
- So last week we jumped on a great deal and bought tickets to London and Paris for the Spring. Now it's the fun time of the planning process where we get to search for all the awesome things that we could do while we're there. I've heard great things about Wales and Copenhagen. And I'd love to go to Scotland again and show Jodi around. Any suggestions??
- We started watching Westworld after hearing so many recommendations. We've only seen the first couple episodes so far but man is it intriguing and I can't wait to see where it goes. I realize that I'm kind of a sucker for the old west and that dusty, gruff setting.
- A thing I learned this week: tempering eggs takes SO MUCH patience. But if you must temper eggs and we all must, because ice cream (!!!), make sure to do it in the company of gentlemen who will whisk it for you so you can crack jokes and take silly videos instead. The weather may be shouting winter, but our house is definitely shouting coconut ice cream.
- Speaking of food, when we went to Rochester, MN, to photograph the most adorable family (while making s'mores and throwing around leaves!), we stopped by a coffee shop brewery combo and a food co op! Mini adventures... even ones that involve car trouble... always seem to remind me that I've got it pretty darn good. I get to hang out with my best friend, find hidden gems, and see real love by great humans.
- I've finally finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed. What a heart-wrenchingly good book that makes you realize that no one can take your own journey but, well, you. That's all I can say without writing a novel in response to it so I'll leave it with that.
- I got brunch on Sunday with one of those friends who notices you're in a goofy mood and doesn't mind but also makes sure to tease you about it. So yes, the best kind of friend. We got to eat at Bernbaum's, which just started offering brunch on Sundays, and they had real, honest to goodness, proper latkes and blintzes! It was magical.
- We're in to Florida to visit my mom! It's been almost a year since I've been home, which means I'm going to eat all of the grits, collards, and biscuits, and drink all of the sweet tea! I may even start saying ya'll.